So, you've decided to look for a home on the beautiful South Shore of Massachusetts. Before you begin looking for homes in the Hingham, MA area, here are some tips to help you with your search!
1. Define your search. Deciding where to search has many facets, and changing one goal may affect another one. For example, if you want to live in Hingham, and you have set your maximum at $500,000, but you need 4 bedrooms and a large yard, you may need to look in another town.
You will have to decide:
2. Get pre-qualified for a loan. There are several benefits to being pre-qualified:
3. Narrow your search. You may start by casting a wide net and looking at houses in a large price range in several different communities, but unless you are one of those people who loves looking at houses, this is quickly going to get tiring.
By all means, go see a lot of houses as you begin your search. But use these viewings to help you refine your search by defining where you want to live (and where you can afford to live); how much house you can get for your money; and what features you need, and what you can live without.
4. Find your home and make an offer. When you've found the home you want, you should consult with your broker and other trusted advisors about a fair asking price. Depending on the market and the asking price, there may be room to negotiate or there may be a bidding war. You need to determine how much you are willing to spend and how much you want the house before you go in, so you do not let emotions get the better of you during the negotiating process. Keep in mind that there may be more negotiations after the home inspection.
5. Secure financing. You have already been pre-qualified, but once your offer has been accepted you will need to finalize the details of your loan - your down payment and the interest rate being the most important things.
6. Due diligence and closing. Over the next several weeks after the offer, you will perform some due diligence to make sure that you are getting the home you think you are getting. You will need to:
For more information, and for any questions you need answered, feel free to contact us! Register with us to save your favorite listings, custom searches, and receive email notifications when a property enters your search criteria.
DON'T MISS A NEW LISTING AGAIN!
FREE AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES